The highest of the Ngorongoro Tortilis Camps is situated in the Ngorongoro Highlands, where the vegetation is a lush deep green and the air is thin. This is the place the Maasai call home.
Location – A Long Way Up
We travelled to Ngorongoro after a night at the Lake Manyara Tortilis Camp. The drive was picturesque and interesting. It’s amazing how much activity there is to see from the wide pannelled windows of the Landcruiser.
After an hour we arrived at the gate to the Ngorongoro. From there the road winds upward to the crater rim. Along the way there is the perfect lookout point where it’s safe to get out and have a look down into the crater below. What a tantalizing prospect, knowing the next day we’d be on a safari drive through this spectacular crater.
Just less than an hour from the Lodware gate we arrived at the Nogorongoro Tortilis Camp. Far different from all the other Tortilis Camps, the Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp is a special Oasis nestled under a forest canopy at the end of a valley. Immediately upon arrival, we felt the magic of this place. Every which way we turned there was a soft dappled light, we were surrounded by the lushest greenery and exposed to the buzzing energy of this high altitude wonderland.
The Staff – Maasai Magic
The super friendly manager explained that up here, because the Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp is so close to the Maasai villagers, they interact very closely. In fact, a couple of guests were about to tie-the-knot in an authentic Maasai wedding!
The local chief and his people have offered this pulsating experience and unique spectacle to those staying at the Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp, and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.
It’s amazing to be looked after by people who live close to the area and know the place so well. The willingness to share their proud land and ways is complimented by the warmth and attention to detail throughout the stay.
There’s so much to do in the Ngorongoro Highlands area and our Tortilis Camp is situated perfectly to make the most of the many activities.
- All day Safari drive in the Ngorongoro Crater with pic-nic lunch at a watering hole
- Outdoor lunch or dinner in a specially appointed area for privacy. Staff take care of every need
- Hike Mount Makarot from camp (Half day activity at least)
- Sundowner drinks from viewpoint over looking Lake Eyasi
- Get Married! Maasai wedding
- Bush fire and drinks at sunset
The Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp is beyond comfortable, it is a glorious place to spend time between activities. Spacious, clean, and welcoming in every way, the below list is some of what makes up this Tortilis Camp:
- Elegant mess tent for meals
- Bar area with fully stocked bar and friendly dedicated bar-tender at any time
- Lounge and games area to relax in. This space has books on birds and information of the area, sofa’s to relax on and is generaly a great area to comfortably spend time in.
Every tent includes:
- Hot water for showers
- Bathroom, private lavatory
- Fresh laundry and towels
- Large four poster bed with mosquito nets
- Turn downs by staff while you have dinner
- Bush Babies – these are the cutely named hot water bottles that the staff prepared for us to warm the beds up before turning in.
Sumptuous dining in the dedicated mess tent is a mix of local and international options from the dynamic menu and of the same high standard as the rest of this incredible Tortilis Camps experience.
Breakfasts are brimming with choices. Coffee and teas of the world along with fresh fruits, continental pastries and a full English breakfast menu are spread out to enjoy while you watch the camp come alive with acitivity. Breakfast tip: The friendly staff wait on guests for all meals and can have the chef whip up a sumptuous omelette or just order eggs done the way you love them.
Dinner is a great way to recap the day and we enjoyed our driver joining us so we could ask those questions about the area that we missed during the drive. The options for both vegetarians and meat eaters are generous, well presented, and delicious.
Book your own Ngorongoro experience
The Tortilis Camps are tremendously warm and welcoming, it’s so easy arriving and so difficult saying goodbye.
If you would like to visit the Ngorongoro Tortilis Camp, contact the booking Team. They’ll create a custom trip that meets your specific wishes to leave you with everlasting memories.